Community Service Requirements and Confirmation of Hours
In order to graduate from Santa Clara High School, students must fulfill the community service requirement for the Santa Clara Unified School District and must complete at least 20 hours of community service. To receive credit for these hours, you must turn in a Confirmation of Hours Form and a one page written Reflection for each activity you complete. Listed below are the requirements for completing community service hours.
Community service hours must be completed at a non-profit organization (i.e., tutoring at a school, volunteering at: a hospital, charity, non-profit, fundraising festival, animal shelter, etc.)
Students may volunteer at a single organization or at multiple sites
Students are highly encouraged to complete hours in field(s) of possible career(s) or in areas of personal interest(s).
Paid experiences do not qualify
Working without pay at your job or family business does not qualify
Students must complete a Confirmation of Hours form and write up a 1 page reflection on experience. Supervisor signature required. Forms located in Counseling Office.
Community service opportunities are routinely posted on the bulletin board in the Counseling Office Lobby and are also emailed through School Loop.
Do NOT wait until last minute!!!
If students have additional questions regarding the Community Service requirement, please see his/her counselor.
Community Service Resources
Community service opportunities are routinely posted on the Community Service Bulletin board in the Counseling Office and sent through School Loop email to students. Additionally, included below are community service organizations many students volunteer at:
- ATRIA CHATEAU GARDENS Contact: Donna DeArmond (408) 275-1208 1185 Pedro Street San Jose 95126-- San Jose Assisted Living for the Elderly
- CALIFORNIA P.E.O. HOME (408) 729-2000 10 Kirk Ave. San Jose Home for elderly - has nursing unit for those who are ill.
- CATHOLIC CHARITIES FRIENDLY VISITOR PROGRAM (408) 325-5143 Visit senior citizens in their homes or in elder care facilities. Visit weekly for 1-2 hours. Long-term commitment necessary, orientation provided.
- CITY TEAM MINISTRIES Cityteam International - San Jose email@example.com Dick House (408) 232-5606 2304 Zanker Rd, San Jose, CA 95131 Rescue Mission for recovering drug addicts and alcoholics. Help in the kitchen to prepare and serve meals. All student volunteers must be accompanied by an adult
- EMERGENCY HOUSING CONSORTIUM Contact: Elizabeth Griswold (408) 539-2143 www.ehclifebuilders.org Meal Service 7 days a week Boccardo Reception Center 2011 Little Orchard Street San Jose CA 95125 Breakfast 5am–7am Lunch 11am–1pm Dinner 4pm–6pm All volunteers need to have a TB test and provide a copy. Students 14-16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Students 17-18 years of age must have parent’s consent. Individual volunteers or group (max at 8)
- IDYLWOOD CARE CENTER Contact: Joni Kamiya, Program Coordinator (408) 739-2383 firstname.lastname@example.org Sunnyvale Nursing Care for the elderly.
- IDYLWOOD CONVALESCENT Contact: Don Miller (408) 739-7569 Sunnyvale Read with the elderly.
- INNVISION Contact: Lourdes Pollard, Food Services Director LPollard@innvision.org 546 Julian St San Jose Volunteers needed on Saturday and Sunday to help cook prep meals, clean and organize . Help needed in kitchen on weekdays 10 am -4 pm.
- LOAVES AND FISHES Contact: Paulo, Volunteer Coordinator (408) 439-0915 email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Please for an orientation appointment . Volunteers are required to have proof of TB clearance (within the past 3 years). Services Provided at: St. Maria Goretti Parish, located at 2980 Senter Road, San Jose and InnVision's Montgomery Street Inn located at 358 N. Montgomery Street, San Jose. Please call or e-mail the volunteer office if interested.
- MAGNOLIA INN (408) 968-8506 176 So. Bernardo Ave. Sunnyvale Visit with elderly people.
- MARTHA'S KITCHEN (408) 293-6111 311 Willow Street San Jose Soup Kitchen (Tues and Wed 3:30 - 6:30) age limit - must be 16 years old
- MISSION VILLA ALZHEIMER'S RESIDENCE Contact: Charlie Niemeyer (408) 559-8301 3333 So. Bascom Ave Campbell All elderly residents have some form of Alzheimer’s or dementia
- OUR DAILY BREAD Contact: David Burns (408) 736-4108 231 South Sunset Ave Sunnyvale Soup kitchen, open Mon., Wed., Fri. for lunch. (good when we have a school holiday)
- SACRED HEART COMMUNITY SERVICES Variety of services to low income primarily Hispanic clientele in San Jose - After School program & Summer day school camp - opportunities to work with customers in food pantry and clothes closet. Contact: (408)278-2160 To volunteer: Fill out a volunteer application on their website: http://sacredheartcs.org/volunteer/individual/
- SACRED HEART NATIVITY SCHOOL Sacred Heart Nativity School is looking for student volunteers to tutor 6th - 8th grade students and to play with them during activity time. Please contact the school for days and times of opportunities. They welcome drop-in after-school tutors. Contact: Tere Allen, Vice Principal Phone: (408) 993-1293
- SAN JOSE FAMILY SHELTER After school tutoring Contact: Cristie Moyer Phone: (408) 926-8885
- SUNDAY FRIENDS IN SAN JOSE Help homeless children and children from low-income families with art projects on Sunday afternoons. Meets on second and fourth Sunday afternoon each month. Fill out online volunteer application on website: https://www.sundayfriends.org/volunteers/index.html
- SUNNYVALE COMMUNITY SERVICES (408) 738-4321 Sunnyvale Care of needs of low-income people in Sunnyvale area - Christmas gift program.
- TOOTERS PROGRAM (tutoring) Sobrato Family Living Center 1509 Agnew Road, Santa Clara CA 95054 Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday 5:30pm - 7pm Volunteers help one day a week. We ask for at least a 6 month commitment. All volunteers are required to have TB test and LiveScan. Students 17-18 years of age must have parent’s consent.
- Reading Partners, Silicon Valley
- City of Santa Clara Volunteer Opportunities
- Santa Clara County Government Volunteer Opportunities
- Bay Area Volunteer Opportunities
- Volunteer Match