Any student from SCHS may submit their work to the Bruin Literary Corner. Here are some guidelines for submitting work that all writers must read carefully and follow:
1. Submitted work should be appropriate for school. If you are not sure if your piece is appropriate, see Mr. Waddell in room B211 so he may review it.
2. There are three sections in the magazine: poetry, short fiction, and nonfiction. You may submit only one piece in each section, but you may submit in multiple sections. For example, we will allow you to submit one poem and one short story, but not two poems.
3. We currently do not have specific word limits for pieces, but if we feel your piece is too long we will notify you. We also do not have minimum word counts for pieces, but it may be difficult to convey a developed story or point in a couple of sentences.
4. Pieces should be well edited. Please do not turn in rough drafts. For advice on how to improve your writing, see the "Writing Tips" page.
To submit written work, send a loop mail with the subject "Submission" to Corrinne Diaz that includes:
- Preferred name to be published (for example, Katerina prefers to be called Katie) or if you would like to be published anonymously
- The Title of your piece. ALL WORK REQUIRES A TITLE.
- The genre of your piece (poetry, short fiction, or nonfiction). If the piece is nonfiction, please describe what kind of nonfiction, for example, a research paper, an autobiography, a review, etc.
- The actual piece attached in a word document. DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THE PIECE IN THE MESSAGE.
Thank you for deciding to submit your work to the Bruin Literary Corner. We look forward to reading it and sharing it with the whole school. If you have any questions, send a loop mail to Corrinne Diaz.